Brigham Young Cougars wide receiver Chase Roberts (27) makes a touchdown catch in the corner of the end zone ahead of Baylor Bears cornerback Lorando Johnson (11) as BYU and Baylor play at LaVell Edwards Stadium in Provo on Saturday, Sept. 10, 2022 (Scott G Winterton, Deseret News)
Estimated read time: 2-3 minutes
SALT LAKE CITY — BYU beat No. 9 Baylor, Weber State upset Utah State, and several locals showed up on the NFL’s opening weekend in this week’s top plays.
10. RJ Hubert picks six in 73-7 Utah win over Southern Utah
The Utes already led 45-7 against SUU at the half, but Hubert got the team across the 50-point threshold with an interception and a score.
9. Jamaal Williams scores on two-touchdown night for Detroit
BYU’s leading rusher in career yards had two scores for the Lions, but it wasn’t enough to defeat the Philadelphia Eagles in a 38-35 loss.
8. Taysom Hill scores on 81-yard rushing night
Hill broke off a career-long 57-yard run earlier in the drive and cemented his place in the Saints’ game plan with a score on the ground in the team’s 27-26 win over the Falcons.
7. Ty MacPherson touchdown grab in 35-7 Weber State upset over Utah State
MacPherson had two touchdown catches in the Wildcats’ massive in-state upset over reigning Mountain West champ Utah State.
6. Terrell Vaughn 100-yard kickoff return in Utah State loss
The lone score for Utah State in the loss to Weber State came on an impressive 100-yard kickoff return in the first quarter.
5. Former Ute CJ Cron hits longest home run of season in MLB
Cron played for Utah from 2008-11 and was named an All-Star for the first time in his MLB career this season. He leads the Rockies with 28 homers.
4. Desmond Williams picks six for Weber State — the dagger
The Wildcats ran away from the Aggies with a 15-point third quarter, including this nail in the coffin from Williams.
3. BYU brings out Philly Special in Provo in 26-20 Baylor upset
BYU wide receiver Chase Roberts has another highlight coming up later, but he took over quarterback duties on this one to get Jaren Hall the ball in prime position to run in the score that gave the Cougars a 20-13 lead in the third quarter.
2. Former Utah State QB Henry Colombi gives Marshall a lead on Notre Dame in 26-21 upset
The biggest upset in college football outside the state of Utah came in Marshall’s shocker over Notre Dame, which was led by Colombi, who played for the Aggies from 2017-19.
1. Chase Roberts’ toe tap gives BYU halftime lead over Baylor
Roberts marked his arrival in Provo with a highlight-reel touchdown in the corner of the end zone just seconds before halftime against No. 9 Baylor, giving the Cougars the upper hand in an eventual 26-20 victory.
Most recent Sports stories
More stories you may be interested in